Meet the Choreographers-Megan, Brittany, and Joey


Photo: Bill Rowe
Megan Brady (Senior)

Can you share with our readers any concepts, ideas, or images you are exploring in your piece?
I am exploring the ideas of anxiety and empowerment and the relationship between those two experiences; how do those experiences relate to each other? I don't think one can exist without the other in some capacity, and so I'm interested in the interplay between them.

What are some choreographic strategies you use during a typical rehearsal?
Typically I am someone who finds a piece of music, maps out an entire dance to that song, and then works chronologically through a dance. However, this process has been much different. I tried to come up with movement phrases that embodied the different aspects I'm exploring, then I tried to create a dance from there. Each week I would try to choreograph a new phrase to add to my movement vocabulary. I would experiment with different formations or variations of the movement with my cast in order to gather ideas for what I want the finished piece to look like. These experiments were a really good way to explore the different relationships that can exist between the ideas of anxiety and empowerment. 

How has this creative process helped you grow as an individual and an artist?
This creative process has been really difficult for me because I have had to think outside of the way I am accustomed to. I had to find new ways to work so that I could create what I wanted. I have discovered new strategies for coming up with movement, and I now have a greater understanding of all the different ways that I can explore my ideas. I've found growth because I am not limiting myself to only work in one specific way anymore; I have expanded my creative horizons and given myself so many other opportunities to create art in ways that I never would have thought I could do before. This also translates into my growth as an individual. I am typically a logical thinker when I plan dances or other events in my life-everything must be straightforward and thought out before hand. Working on this piece has given me the freedom to create instead of having to fit the picture to what I have created in my head (which was absolutely terrifying at first!). Now, not only do I have new ways of thinking artistically, but also I can use this way of thinking in my everyday life, and not worry so much about if everything is going according to plan.

What do you hope the audience gains from viewing your work?
I hope the audience can relate to this dance through their own lens of personal experiences with one or both of my main concepts. I want them to find a deeper understanding of how having anxiety but also being confident and empowered is totally normal. I want them to know that anxiety and empowerment are not two separate ideas but actually rely on each other to function and often battle for our attention; that it is possible to live in both of these realities, you don't have to be just one or the other.


Brittany Osborn (Junior)

Can you share with our readers any concepts, ideas, or images you are exploring in your piece?
Imagine being a child again and hearing yelling, slamming doors, and sirens everyday. Along with having your family ripped away from you, not just once, but multiple times.  The mental state you’d be in after this is unbelievable. Your trust is gone, you don’t believe in anyone loving you, and your confidence goes down. This is what many children experience when they go through foster care. This is the base idea I explore in my piece.

What experiences in your life inspire you and how do you bring that inspiration into your creative process?
My past is a huge inspiration to my dancing. I’ve always heard your past is what defines you; I am a strong believer in that not being true. My life didn’t start off the way it should have, but that does not define who I am today. Dancing has always been a way for me to overcome all these things, and still grow into the person you want to be. For me, dance is all about being the person you deserve to be.

How has this creative process helped you grow as an individual and an artist?
I have been waiting for the day that I could make a dance to share with an audience about my life. Now that I have created this dance I feel relief and a sense of ease. I have gained more confidence from making this dance because I had to be very vulnerable to use this concept and to share it with many people.

What do you hope the audience gains from viewing your work?
I hope that everyone who watches my piece understands how hard it is to feel unloved. I want people to be more aware of what happens in foster homes when the “parents” are only fostering children for the money. Abuse and neglect happen very often, and this is something more people should be aware of. The children in these situations have so many emotions, and feel like they are all alone.


Joey Krasovich (Junior)

Can you share with our readers any concepts, ideas, or images you are exploring in your piece? 
The beauty of the piano has been the inspiration for my 2017 afterimages piece. The piece, titled strike, uses the inner mechanics of the piano to explore concepts relating to the beauty of an individual and the power of a group. How does an individual find the group that works for them, and what happens when personalities clash? These are the concepts I explore throughout the piece.

What experiences in your life inspire you and how do you bring that inspiration into your creative process?
I have always found complex sound of a piano breathtakingly beautiful. It is incredible to me that one instrument, made up of hammers that strike strings, can create any style of sound imaginable. I have had the incredible opportunity to collaborate with Music Education Major Steven Calgaro, who has written an original score for the piece and is performing it live alongside my wonderful cast.   

What are some choreographic strategies you use during a typical rehearsal?
One aspect of Strike, which has caused me to explore some new choreographic strategies, is that each individual dancer represents a specific tone in the composition. Due to this we had to assist the dancers in understanding the personalities of each tone, to do this we assigned each dancer their note based on their personality. From there I used a combination of improvisation and repetition to help each dancer understand their individual movement qualities. At one point I gave each dancer a similar movement, and they were required to move in such a way that their note personality could still be seen.

What do you hope the audience gains from viewing your work?
I wish for the audience to look at the professional and interpersonal relationships in their lives in a new way, to understand how their choices and actions influence those around them, and to strive to look at the world through someone else’s perspective.  

Comments

Popular Posts