Meet the Choreographers-Maddie, Sara, and Jackie


Maddie Adams (Junior)

Can you share with our readers any concepts, ideas, or images you are exploring in your piece?
Photo: Bill Rowe
The idea I am working with in my piece is recovery from mental illness and the stigma against it. Recovery is not an overnight cure, it’s a long process in order to overcome mental illness - it is an experience that changes your whole life. During the process of recovery, some people could have a break-through and come out of it, while others may have to fight an internal battle between their mind, body and spirit. There’s an obvious misconception that recovery from mental illness is a cure without relapse, and my cast and myself are exploring how to break that stigma through dance.

What movement qualities are you working with (style), and how does it support your ideas?
I am addressing emotion and its relation to mental illness. I would say that my piece has a contemporary-modern style. I am challenging myself to incorporate the explorations of Body, Space, Time, Energy, and Relationship to convey a story about five individuals and their different stories.

How has this creative process helped you grow as an individual and an artist?
Choreographing a piece that has so much meaning to me has helped pushed me to be open with my feelings and thoughts. I wouldn’t have been able to create a dance about mental illness had I not been open about my own experiences and found my inner confidence to talk about it. This experience has helped me to be a leader, and helped my dancers step out of their comfort zones and be able to dance or perform without feeling judged or embarrassed about how they move. My cast inspires me to keep going and find my inner confidence inside and outside of rehearsal. For me, it isn’t only the experience that has helped me grow, it’s the energy and motivation the five dancers bring into my piece. It has been an incredible journey, as this is my first year being a choreographer for Afterimages, and I couldn’t be happier or more inspired by this process.

What do you hope the audience gains from viewing your work?
I hope the audience can find a personal relation to the piece, or take away ideas of the reality that so many people struggle with mental illness each day. Everyone has a different story, and everyone tells their story differently. Mental health doesn’t have to have a stigma; it doesn’t have to be a controversial topic. The more we talk about it, the more educated and empathetic people become. Mental health is just as important as physical health, and I truly hope the audience finds a resolution through viewing my busy and attentive piece.

Sara Johnson (Sophomore)

Can you share with our readers any concepts, ideas, or images you are exploring in your piece?
I am exploring the idea of acting, hiding behind a mask, or pretending to be something you’re not. I portray this through dancers on a stage as they either decide to give up the façade they are living, or they can decide to continue acting.

What movement qualities are you working with (style), and how does it support your ideas?
My piece is in two parts. The first part focuses on mechanical movement to portray the idea of being fake or not a real person. The second half becomes more natural. I use movement ideas from the first half, but in a way that they are breaking from the formality of the movement and becoming more personable.

How has this creative process helped you grow as an individual and an artist?
I have learned to give meaning to everything-movement especially. When portraying an idea, you want to make it as clear as possible. This means trying narrow out all of the unnecessary bits and keeping what is actually beneficial to the experience of the piece.

What do you hope the audience gains from viewing your work?
I would like the audience to reflect on their own lives and consider the masks they may be hiding behind. Perhaps they may be struggling to get rid of it. In my piece, the performers on stage have to make a choice to break the façade, and I hope it inspires the audience to as well.

Jackie Burrell (Junior)

Can you share with our readers any concepts, ideas, or images you are exploring in your piece?
I am exploring the concept of pulling yourself together after you’ve been broken apart. It’s a story of resilience, resurrection and recycling.

What experiences in your life inspire you and how do you bring that inspiration into your creative process?
I’m a very visual person, so I started with creating the picture moments in the piece and I would fill in the movement from there. I like to think of myself as a storyteller who uses movement instead of words. I also like to take experiences from my childhood, back in the times where I would play make believe and could be anything I wanted. It was times like those that helped shape me into the person I am today. Dancing and choreographing are my new make believe.
  
What do you hope the audience gains from viewing your work?
I hope they walk away with the message of resilience. I want them to understand that struggles don’t have to define anyone. When you fall apart, pull yourself back together and keep going.

Comments

Popular Posts